Day one in Panama (5.20.24)

Salvador Ayala


My first night in Batipa was a bit different from what I was used to, as there were various factors I wasn't exposed to before, like insects, heat, and humidity. These were things I had imagined before arriving, but they turned out to be completely different from what I expected.

At night, we had to use mosquito repellent, and I slept in long pants and a long-sleeved shirt to prevent any bites. There were all sorts of animal noises—monkeys, birds, water—which made it interesting but also hard to sleep because I was constantly thinking about protecting myself from insect bites. In total, I slept around five hours, but I woke up at 2:00 am because I was very thirsty and sweating a lot. I needed to drink a lot of water before going back to sleep.

Before fully waking up, I checked to make sure I didn't have any insect bites, and then I started my day by applying insect repellent and sunscreen. I prepared myself with all my work gear: boots, a hat, field pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and a lot of enthusiasm for learning new things.

Breakfast was very good. I tried something called yuca, which tasted like potato, and we also had sausages with cheese, which were very delicious. I tried a really good habanero sauce that wasn't too spicy but also not too sweet—it was perfect. After that, I had my "coffee pot," which really woke me up.

Mornings in Batipa are incredible. We have a beautiful view of the ocean with its blue waters and tall green mountains. Additionally, we hear the songs of birds, monkeys, and even goats. The morning in Batipa is something natural and unique; there are no cars, not many people, and it really helps you disconnect from the real world.

Walking in Batipa feels like walking on a farm in the middle of a jungle, with its flowers, trees, and fruits making it unique. This morning was lovely; I was able to take many photos and videos for memories.

So far, everything is going well, but the heat is really hitting us hard. I'm sweating a lot and starting to see that I'm getting sunburned. Despite all this, we're ready to continue with the day.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Photo...
 The photo represents the plan we had with our teacher on how to send a message to the Batipa community, where we were planning, and they try to think about what would be the best way to develop the presentation on water quality and quantity.






during the discussion....



In the afternoon, we had the opportunity to explore the areas where we will be conducting our research. We walked for about two hours, enjoying all the plants and wildlife found in Batipa. The photo captures the beautiful green landscape with its high elevation and diverse range of flowers and small animals.
along the way.

explain....

Batipa has a small lake at the top of the mountain. To our surprise, we found around four baby crocodiles swimming and enjoying the afternoon. Some were hidden among the branches, while others were in the middle of the lake. It was surprising to see crocodiles, as it was my first time encountering this type of species.

explain..



We had the opportunity to learn about many of the medicinal plants that Batipa offers. Some of these plants are used to treat internal pain or external wounds. Additionally, there are plants believed to cure bad spirits. The people in Batipa believe that when someone is possessed, they become very strong, so they use a specific plant to bind these individuals and remove the demons within them.


explain

Photo...
Batipa is currently in the rainy season, where it's common for heavy rain to fall in the afternoons. This Monday afternoon, it started raining heavily for the first time since we've been here. The rain was very intense, with strong downpours everywhere and many lightning strikes.


Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Day 4 in Panama

Day 6 in Panama

Day 3 in Panama